We want the young leaders and potential leaders in your community for our Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA). Use the following as a guide:
- Good academic record
- Involvement in school activities such as Honor Societies, Academic clubs, and other activities (i.e. band, debate, drama, choir, etc.)
- Involvement in athletics such as varsity sports, intramural sports and non-school related sports.
- Work experience such as after school jobs and summer jobs.
- Other significant achievements and honors
Students who show leadership potential get the most out of RYLA. They don’t need to be sports captains or running a club, but they should be eager to learn and grow as an individual. As a rule, try to send well rounded individuals who have shown leadership qualities.
The camp attendees should be rising juniors or seniors (i.e., students who are between their sophomore/junior years or junior/senior years of high school). Students who have graduated high school are not eligible to attend District 5580's Camp RYLA.
Important: Preference should be given to juniors entering their senior year of high school. The vast majority of the campers will be seniors beginning in September after camp. If there is an outstanding sophomore, encourage them to apply the following year.
Start recruitment process early in the school year. Partner with individuals who can help identify the best candidates for RYLA. Meet with high school principals, counselors and coaches to explain the purpose of Camp RYLA and the ideal candidate. As you identify high-quality potential applicants, meet with them individually or host an informational session to to explain the purpose of Camp RYLA.
- Previous RYLA campers (often, your best source!)
- School principals and counselors
- Rotarians (sons and daughters of Rotarians may attend Camp RYLA)
- Youth leaders (club advisers, church youth leaders)
January 15 - Begin recruiting no later than this!
Once students complete the online application, they'll receive an email like the sample below:
Thank you so much for your interest in RYLA and taking the time to complete the first step of applying! Please note: This application must be completed in its entirety before it can be submitted to the school counselor or Rotary Club that will be sponsoring you.
1. Review the attached form and verify your information is accurate.
a. Please ensure all required signatures are included.
2. Once you are selected to attend RYLA, a Parent/Guardian will need to complete the following forms,click here to download:
a. Liability Waiver
b. Medical Authorization
c. Medical Information
3. In June, you will receive materials in the mail to prepare you for the program in July.
Selected applications must be submitted to the district by April 28, 2018..
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.